The Canadian Association of Broadcasters (CAB) is pleased to announce Carmela Laurignano of Evanov Communications Group was recently appointed to the role of Chair of the CAB Board of Directors for a two-year term. She previously served on the Board as Vice-Chair over the past two years.
Laurignano is a respected leader at Evanov, with more than 25 years of experience at the company. As Vice-President and Radio Group Manager, she oversees the company’s legal and regulatory branches, as well as other areas of its operations. Her depth and breadth of experience in the broadcasting industry has earned her many accolades, including the Rosalie Award, the Canadian Women in Communications Leadership Excellence Award and this year’s Brilliant Minded Women Organization’s Best Community Service Award. She is also the first woman to hold a vice-president role with a Canadian ethnic broadcaster (CHIN Radio, Toronto) and was one of the youngest vice-presidents in the Canadian radio industry at the time.
“We are pleased to have Carmela continue her valuable service to the CAB Board in her new capacity as Chair,” says CAB President Kevin Desjardins. “Carmela is passionate in her commitment to the success of Evanov and of all Canadian broadcasters, and I will continue to appreciate her sage advice and guidance in this new role.”
The CAB also thanks Matt Thompson (Corus Entertainment Inc.) for his service over the past two years as Chair of the Board of Directors. Thompson was vital in helping to relaunch the association and provided leadership through the government’s critical legislative and regulatory processes to modernize the Broadcasting Act and support Canadian journalism.
“As we continue to build the association’s capacity and work through the historic regulatory processes ahead, we look forward to continuing to work under the leadership and guidance of the CAB Board of Directors to serve Canada’s private broadcasters,” says Desjardins.
CAB Board of Directors – 2023-25
- Chair – Carmela Laurignano, Vice-President and Radio Group Manager, Evanov Communications Group
- Vice-Chair – Peggy Tabet, Vice-President, Regulatory and Environmental Affairs, Québecor Media Inc.
- Secretary – Jonathan Daniels, Vice-President, Regulatory Law, Bell Media Inc.
- Treasurer – Robin Hildebrand, Vice-President, Human Resources and Regulatory Affairs, Golden West Broadcasting Ltd.
- Director – Matt Thompson, Vice-President, Associate General Counsel, Regulatory and Public Policy, Corus Entertainment Inc.
- Director – Susan Wheeler, Vice-President, B2B Distribution and Regulatory, Rogers Media Inc.